Facing the revolution in Buying Behaviour
Sales people are increasingly confronted with new and different sales situations. Customers and prospects are becoming independent of the sales person, and sales must adapt to a more autonomous customer.
Mercuri’s Differentiated Selling™ model defines different customer mind-sets, based on how autonomous the customer is and what preferences they have towards you as a supplier.
Buyer autonomy is now the rule
Our global Sales Excellence study 2017 demonstrates that buyers usually expect low added value from sellers and have a clear preference for their existing suppliers. This serves a major challenge – and opportunity – for sellers who must transform themselves and develop new skills.
New customer acquisition now require new skills
In today’s business environment new customer acquisition is tougher than ever. To win new customers you need to develop your Assertive Selling and Consultative Selling skills.
- Market situation has changed in the past years
- Competitive pressure is increasing for our customers
- Maturity status & preference towards suppliers are changing rapidly
- New technology = Customers are better informed
- Tougher attitudes from customers
- Customers are more demanding and less loyal
- Profiles of the new generation of ”sales people” are softer…
- Sales methodology must be adapted to accommodate the new conditions and challenges faced by the sales organisations
The result is presented in a “Four fielder” (a matrix), mapping the Autonomy/Preference axis to allow visualisation of the four distinct Selling Situations. Each Selling Situation has its own unique characteristics.
The above image shows how frequently a situation is met:
- Assertive selling is needed when the customer are negative to the company’s offering, they feel they can decide by themselves without much advice.
- Consultative selling is needed when the customers are not positive to the company’s offering, they are not very matured and need advice to decide
- Expertise selling is needed when the customers are positive to the company’s offering , they are not very matured and need advice to decide
- Relational selling is needed when the customers are positive to the company’s offering ,they feel that they can decide by themselves without much advice.
Find out in just 10 minutes what selling situation your sales team are experiencing
Our simple survey will take you about 10 minutes to complete and will take you through 4 Key Areas, each of 10 statements.
The results will show what selling situation your sales force are experiencing today with customers and markets and more importantly the situations they will be faced in the future. As markets get more mature and customers autonomy and preference change you will see the shift in the selling styles needed for these customers and markets.
In this example the sales people must be skilled in Consultative selling to be efficient in the selling situations they face today but also in Assertive selling to be efficient in emerging selling situations, arising more and more often.
This leads to a higher degree of Assertive selling situations
To learn more about where our expertise can add value to your business please contact us on.
Tel: +44 (0) 330 9000 800
Selling Smarter in the 3rd Millennium