Facing the revolution in Buying Behaviour
Sales people are increasingly confronted with new and different sales situations. Customers and prospects are becoming independent of the sales person, and sales must adapt to a more autonomous customer.
Mercuri’s Differentiated Selling™ model defines different customer mind-sets, based on how autonomous the customer is and what preferences they have towards you as a supplier.
Buyer autonomy is now the rule
Our global Sales Excellence study 2017 demonstrates that buyers usually expect low added value from sellers and have a clear preference for their existing suppliers. This serves a major challenge – and opportunity – for sellers who must transform themselves and develop new skills.
New customer acquisition now require new skills
In today’s business environment new customer acquisition is tougher than ever. To win new customers you need to develop your Assertive Selling and Consultative Selling skills.
- Market situation has changed in the past years
- Competitive pressure is increasing for our customers
- Maturity status & preference towards suppliers are changing rapidly
- New technology = Customers are better informed
- Tougher attitudes from customers
- Customers are more demanding and less loyal
- Profiles of the new generation of ”sales people” are softer…
- Sales methodology must be adapted to accommodate the new conditions and challenges faced by the sales organisations
The result is presented in a “Four fielder” (a matrix), mapping the Autonomy/Preference axis to allow visualisation of the four distinct Selling Situations. Each Selling Situation has its own unique characteristics.
The above image shows how frequently a situation is met:
- Assertive selling is needed when the customer are negative to the company’s offering, they feel they can decide by themselves without much advice.
- Consultative selling is needed when the customers are not positive to the company’s offering, they are not very matured and need advice to decide
- Expertise selling is needed when the customers are positive to the company’s offering , they are not very matured and need advice to decide
- Relational selling is needed when the customers are positive to the company’s offering ,they feel that they can decide by themselves without much advice.
This leads to a higher degree of Assertive selling situations. Learn more about where our expertise can add value to your business.